5/02/2012

6. The hardest thing I've ever experienced

6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?

...
I've pondered this question for the past two days--and sat down to write this post many times--hoping to sound "meaningful," "inspiring," or "heartfelt"...but at the moment, I am scared. A montage of images keep flashing in my head and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable writing them or even having them read by anyone.

*Deep breath*

When I was seven, my mother married the father of my half-sister, Julia. Julie is so beautiful and I love her oh so much. I did not love her father. He was a weird man. A man that I never felt comfortable around. A man that did not respect his role as a "father" and "husband." A man that was abusive--in more ways than one. A man that hurt my mother and my family. A man that hurt me.
Thinking back to that time in my life, I recall four memories related to my former step-father.
//Memory One\\
I was at the dinner table (sitting on top of two phone books so I could reach the table :3). My brother and I were expected to ask someone to pass the food when we needed it or give a summary of our day. I never could get my voice above a whisper when he'd ask me about my day. I never could say his name outright, "Steven." I could only whisper his name.
//Memory Two\\
One night, Mom knelt in front of me in the living room and asked me why I didn't like Steven. I replied, "He smells weird and I don't like his hand." A brown recluse spider bit Steven's hand, forever leaving it deformed. I never liked his cologne--he never smelled like Dad. Dad's cologne was the way a dad is supposed to smell like. Old Spice. :]
//Memory Three\\
*This is super creepy--you can skip if you want*
It was Thanksgiving and we went to Hometown Buffet for dinner. Mom and my brother piled out of the car, leaving me behind with Steven. I was so hungry--I just wanted to get out and eat. I unbuckled my seat belt and went to open my car door. Steven asked me to stay in for just a second. I did and then he said that there were some dog biscuits on the floor of the car--if I was so hungry, I should eat a dog biscuit. You know, to show him how hungry I was. I took a bite of one and then spit it back out. He let me out of the car and we went into the restaurant.
Memory Four:
//MY HARDEST EXPERIENCE\\
All I remember is being woken up in the middle of the night by lots of shouting. Mom and Steven were in a fight in the kitchen. Mom was also 8 or so months pregnant with Julie at the time. Jim woke up and I told him to be quiet and then snuck out of our room. Jim followed. We crawled underneath Julie's soon-to-be-crib and then peered inside the kitchen. I saw Steven yell at Mom. I saw him hit her face. I saw Mom cry. I saw him punch her pregnant stomach. I saw my mom fall. I saw him kick her stomach. I saw him pick her up and throw her. I saw Mom land. I couldn't stand it--but I had no idea what to do. I was only seven. Steven left. Mom tried calling for help, but Steven cut the phone lines. Eventually, Mom, Jim, and I got to a shelter and stayed there for a few days. During that time, Steven got into the house and poured battery acid all throughout our living and dining room--ruining the carpet. It was like a constant reminder that he was still there even though he'd left. I hated seeing the holes in our carpet. I hated what he did to our family. And I hated that someone so horrible would be privileged enough to call himself a "father." 

I'm not writing these memories solely for "pity" or for "vengeance." haha I've learned to forgive. But I haven't forgotten...I don't think I ever could. Forgiveness means different things to different people--I bet some see it as a weakness, especially in a case such as mine. I don't know what you're thinking after reading this, but please don't think differently of me. It's taken a lot out of me to write this--I just hope you'll see what I've written as an honest reply to a simple question: What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It means a lot to me that you wrote about this. I grew up with abuse in my family, and it’s not something I’ve ever felt comfortable talking about. Maybe one day I’ll be strong enough to share my story too. There are so many bloggers that focus on presenting a perfect, sugar-coated version of their lives. It’s nice to read something honest for a change.

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you. I've read so many blogs that only focus on the positive aspects of their lives and to be perfectly honest, it gets a little boring after a while, you know? But thank you so much for your comment! I don't know what experiences you had as a child, but thank you for opening up to me. :) You're wonderful. :):):)

ayley said...

this is really intense. thanks so much for your honesty. i can't even imagine.

Unknown said...

You are so welcome. :) And thank you for stopping by! Life can be hard at times, but I don't want it to get me down, you know?