9/28/2013

Space Pants and Ghost Arm


Hey guys and girls. Let's talk about body image because we can and should.

If anyone knows me very well, you'd know I go through waves of "body love" and "body ugh." All my life, I've been blessed with a high metabolism and an ignorance in regards to a healthy diet. I was a competitive runner in high school, one of the best in our state division, and worked hard to attain a certain level of excellence. Granted, my family cooked healthy and strong meals for me, I ate said meals with gusto (haha), and I trained all summer, fall, and spring. No awkwardness, when I graduated from high school I was 5'2" and 103 pounds.

Four years and four months later, I'm still 5'2", but I've gained and kept/lost a consistent twelve pounds. I've been anywhere from 103-115. The "Freshman 15" never happened for me for various reasons (I was too stressed to eat and lots of life changing experiences kept me stressed for nine months). My hardcore training I grew accustomed to in high school ebbed and flowed throughout college. Now, I've acquired a much more "womanly" physique. Unfortunately, with those lovely lady curves, came the confusing doubt and self blame I never knew existed.

Hence my post this evening. You'll note in the above picture I'm wearing my first ever pair of high waisted jeans. My first Levi's, by the way. I LOVE THEM. I LOVE THEM WITH ALL THE POWER I HAVE TO LOVE. For the first time in a long time, I don't mind I'm 111 pounds. You may think, "Chelsea. Get over yourself. You're fine." But guys. Shaking hands with my current body has been a four year first impression. Four. YEARS.

In talking with Zac tonight, he's challenged me with my eating habits and exercise routine. He wants me to be happy and I think I'll be happier if I work on my self confidence. I want to be confident in my skin and, while these AMAZING JEANS are the first step, I can't wait to get the old "Chelsea spirit" back. Not necessarily that old body. But my old confidence.

I'll write you at the end of the week and see how I fared. EEK. Here's another picture of my fabulous pantalones. I call it, "Space Pants and Ghost Arm."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you're awesome;-) And its really hard to accept the fact, that we will never have the bodies we had when we were younger! I mean, I wish that I didn't have body image problems then. there was no need at all! But, it's in our nature... we just have to keep bringing each other up:-)

Unknown said...

Gosh dangit. You're the best!! Also, do you have that amazing chicken enchilada recipe we made growing up? If so, I'd love it! (:

Anonymous said...

I haven't made enchiladas in forever!!!